Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Completly Confused
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:14 pm 

Logan D'nal has made a monster manual search guide that tells you what monster book and page monsters are on according to their type and their quester- monster ratio. He is using this as a Qualls and as regent of Riverstone if he did recieve an order I am unsure as to which one. Yushang and I thought it might be under an Owl and I even asked Sutra his thoughts. Sutra suggested that I post this on the board because even he wasn't sure. Any suggestions? Thanks to all! ^.^

Post subject: Re: Completly Confused
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:20 pm 

Are we talking about a software program or a hard copy manual?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:20 pm 

hard copy.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:23 pm 

hmmm i would say maybe a dragon since a dragon refers to the arts of amtgard but an owl would work to as it refers to the science part of amtgard. Its kind of one of those that falls in the middle of these awards.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:22 am 

Does it read like a stereo manual? I'd go Owl.

Is it easy to read, interesting on it's own, illustrated by them, etc...? I'd think Dragon.

JMHO, though, of course.:)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:36 am 

Its a stereo manual id say. he wants to bind it later and enter it in a higher level A&S, but thus far its not too artistic. I do think all this has finally helped me decide so id go with an Owl just becase it seems to be a very... right side of the brain based project lol! is that a good way of seperating dragons and owls? right side of the brain and left side of the brain? im pretty sure that Garber is non-artistic based garb and that Smith is actually for battles or quests, am i correct in thinking all this? it'll be a huge help for me and any other regents for our park.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:43 am 

Pretty much... However garber is more of a general garb or accessory award however a dragon can be award for a more decortive and detailed garb especially if it was designed with a specific game in mind (maybe something that was created with a certain NPC in a quest)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:06 pm 

Garber could potentially be seen as a local certification of sorts; perhaps by a group certifying someone as an Amtgard Garber (Or Amtgard Dragon Garber) is guaranteed to be able to make legal garb, for example if someone asks them to make or sell them some garb, someone with a garber or dragon "certification" would be able to officially state so, and the group has claimed in the past they have already made or show the skills to consistently make field legal garb, or high quality field legal garb/equipment.

It may also be neat to encourage people to have/own more than one set of garb and weapons. One way to do this would be to verbally encourage or taunt people for only having one set of garb and always wearing the same thing and/or always using the same weapons. There may also be awards or other points or commendations awarded for having lots of legal and/or high quality garb and weapons, with encouragement to lend trustworthy and/or friendly people your equipment to try and possibly purchase or be given as a gift. This 'apprenticing' or 'squiring' of people is already somewhat recognized in the rulebooks, but encouraging people to have lots of equipment, either by purchasing it from dragon garbers or knight garbers or regular garbers or attending an A&S event or even getting a tutor's phone number or email address and meeting them outside of amtgard for garbing, or even having people at the park with needles, scissors, cloth, and thread ready to give impromptu garb making classes to people for money, debt, or friendly fun, along with possibly weapon making materials (foam, cores, tape, cloth, possibly glue), and whatever else people enjoy making...perhaps while resting from fighting, as an alternative to fighting, as a thing to do while watching fighting, and as a way to have more amtgard gear available and to generally increase the quality and knowledge of construction. It is also fun to try lots of different weapon styles, and the extra weapons can be lent out at strategic times to create larger battlegames.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:26 pm 

I would say it would earn a Rose. It is a guide and the purpose of it is to help players in palying the game / using monsters in quests. Things designed to benefit the group / Kingdom fall in the Rose category.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:34 pm 

Forest Evergreen wrote:
I would say it would earn a Rose. It is a guide and the purpose of it is to help players in palying the game / using monsters in quests. Things designed to benefit the group / Kingdom fall in the Rose category.

A Rose is what I would have thought if it weren't asked as a qual's question.
Would a Rose still count towards someone's qual's requirements for office?

(asked in all sincerity)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:49 pm 

yes there is usually a rose catagory in crown quals and could qualify with enteries under the rose catagory. However what class to determine it under really falls under the person entering the item on how they feel on how it should be judged and as far as rose if they intend for it to be used on the club level or do they want to reserve it for their own personal use

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:13 pm 

He has stated that he wants to make it something very open for public use, though he's mainly thinking of sticking it on a website as an easy download. Till then he's just making one copy. Am I understanding it as the person entering an item that can fall under multiple catagories usually should specify as to what area they wish it to fall under? Sorry if that seems like a silly question I just want to make sure heh ^^;

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:29 pm 

No its not a silly question. Yes in most cases it is best that the person entering an item state what catagory they want to enter it as if they leave it to the person to decide it may not end up in the catagory the person entering the item may have wanted it to go. There are certain types of enteries that could fall under more than one. Such as a tabbard could fall under fighting garb or rose if they want to donate it to the club as loaner garb. Also say a stuffed animal could be entered under 3d art and would be judged on artistic nature of it or could be entered under passive contruction and be judged on how well it was assembled. There are many examples on how one entery can fall under more than one catagory it would just boil down to how the person entering it would like judging to be focused on. As in the stuffed animal example if the person felt there was not much artistic focus to the animal then it would most likely be better off in the passive contruction catagory. If they felt that the contruction of the animal was not as good as they would have liked and they feel there is some good artistic focus to it then 3D art would be best.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:28 pm 

I never knew this! I always assumed that majority of it was left up to the judges, except that with foam weapons entered it needed to be specified whether it is legal or not! There's not much known by our park for A&S. I have juged in a pretty relaxed manner for A&S due to many people in our park having little experience in these feilds. That's of course for their 1st or 2nd order. For those with more experience I've held them to an evergrowing standard. Now we have a young man who wishes to hold the regency office and has asked me for help and I realize I know very little, so any help we can get aids us immensely. There aren't many things out there giving some sort of guideline to new regents or to new members of amtgard that would like to learn.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:46 pm 

Everyone starts out some where. When I first started Amtgard I was about where you are now but have picked up a few things over the years either through other player or through researching with some trial and error on both ends.

When it comes to a park level qual there is nothing wrong with being relaxed on the judging as long as you are not being to relaxed (don’t want macaroni jewelry making the cut lol not saying any of your guys would enter something like that) especially with your guys being so new to the game. As far as helping your regent if you are talking about helping him with new qual entries just know this they have to complete 90% of the project themselves in order for them to enter it. If they are aided in any more than 10% then the entry will have to be enter as a joint entry where both parties receive half of the given score for that item (say 2 people enter an item one person did 75% of the work and the other did 25% so then it would have to entered under both peoples name and the item received 3.2 when judged then each person would receive a score of 1.6 for that item.)

Now you can give verbal instruction on the item or show a demo on how to do it on a different item (say with a pair of bracers you can show them how to do it by working with them in making one pair then let them do their own by themselves with maybe some verbal guidance on a 2nd pair) without having to worry about putting in to much help.

Now if you are talking as far as demos and such for the park then by all means join up and work within the areas you are most comfortable in. If you need some ideas on some where to start for either qual entries or park demos PM me and I should be able to give you some ideas on projects and places to find info on them.

Last edited by Aria on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences