Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Spell Ball Creation
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:51 pm 

I have recently returned to amtgard and was wondering. For spell ball construction, I use a Franklin Yard Tennis ball (same as probably 90% of archers) with a small incision made to put a tiny quantity of rice (which is encased in saran wrap) and then the hole is taped over securely. Final step is to cover the ball with the doctored side to the tail end and duck tape right behind the ball so that excess fabric forms a streaming tail.

My spell balls have always received the highest compliments in their construction, safety, and range wherever I've gone in my amt-life and have proven incredibly safe due to the great rate of compression of the yard balls to absorb the force of impact.

My major concern comes from the rulebook stating you may use "...Non-granular.." material and specifically the rules state "sand". The rice is technically "grains" but rice is not a fine abrasive which is difficult to trap and stay in place. Also, due to the size of the "grains" it will displace were as sand will not.

I can't imagine that the height of spell ball technology is shredded fabric a seamstress chucks out or a ball of socks packed so tight it leaves bruises... Can I get a ruling on whether or not my spell balls are legal? Even if they are, what are other people using for spell balls these days?

PS| Sorry if this is a re-post, I didn't see anything on this when I searched.
PPS| Death to the 12 spell ball max rule! [smilie=icon_evil.gif]

Mage-at-Arms to Sir Alby Kzan
Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post subject: Re: Spell Ball Creation
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:41 pm 

Per the rulebook, spellballs must meet all the safety requirements of projectiles. Therefore they must follow the non-granular core requirement. This would prohibit the use of rice in the spellball.

From your post it is apparent that you had concluded that rice was not going to be allowed, but I am not sure why you are insinuating that a spellball that leaves bruises would ever be seen as acceptable. (The sock comment).

I personally use polyester fiber to make spellballs. Many people do use fabric scraps as you noted in your post. The yardball itself is fine (assuming it meets other safety requirements) you just can't put rice in it. But there are plenty of alternatives to add weight that are legal.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:40 pm 

A). I had my spell balls created before looking at the new rule book (I've been out for a few years and I don't think there was a 7th ed when I last played) so I didn't create them AFTER learning it was possibly illegal.

B). I have no intention of creating tightly balled sock rocks, but I have seen them before and, as noted they are made from legal materials. Also, for the record, I did not state that the bruising sockwad would be "acceptable", nor did intend to insinuate such. I only brought it up as an example of legal construction is not always good construction, thus couldn't it be possible for construction that technically toes the line to be safe and effective?

C). What is the specific construction method for your polyester balls and what kind of range do they have? (If you don't mind my asking, that is)

At the end of the day, I'm just trying to get my gear back on track. I'm annoyed at having to rework some things, but I'll get over it. Keep in mind I'm coming here in a public place trying to figure this issue out instead of keeping quiet and chucking illegal balls. Hopefully some good will come from this.

Thanks for your prompt reply by the way, Forest.

Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:44 pm 

I usually use a package of loose rubber bands in fabric tied of with another rubber band. They get good weight and they don't hurt or leave marks. It also makes it easy to fix and switch materials if needed.

GM or Druids
PM of Riverstone
Captain of The Shadow Chorus
Member of House Singollo

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:29 pm 

Didn't mean to imply you made them after reading they may be illegal. Just meant that the tone of your post seemed to indicate you were expect to find out that rice would not be allowed.

I have not measured the range on my spell balls, but they fly far enough to be effective in a battlegame.

The sock comment was that balled up socks that leave bruises were the height of our spellball technology. That seems to indicate it is the best we can do, which is what confused me.

Glad to have you back and I hope that you find new ways to make spell balls that work as well as your previous ones.

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:46 am 

@Faelynn: Hmm.. sounds interesting. I'd like to see that in action sometime.

@Forest: Yeah, I was afraid the rice balls wouldn't be allowed, but there was hope and there's no harm in asking for clarification. *chuckle*

I sadly misphrased if I made it sound like the socks were the height of spell tech, and for that misunderstanding I gladly apologize. I know it's a fairly cheap way to produce a spell ball quickly and has been so since my days starting in Lufkin and my first event back in 97 (Slider Rabbit had just had a kid I think... got to hear Cabal sing... got an order of the doofus... good times). I digress though, I've seen sword cores and padding as well as armor tech change, but it just seems cloth scraps or socks is a spell ball staple. I'm thrilled to find that spell tech has diversified too!

After staring at the projectile rules for a few hours and running over every possible substance I know of, I think I found an alternative in good old fashioned, highly pliable, non-granular, silly putty. Just a little dab for an extra spot of weight secured in almost an inch of foam all around... Anything seem wrong with that?

Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:18 pm 

Silly putty seems to meet the requirements. Give it a try and tell me how it works out. Hope you make it to coronation on the 10th.

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:26 pm 

Dec 10 will not be do-able. I am, however, starting plans to make the next DM my first A&S competition. Hopefully a way to work Vinter in will present itself, but that's the subject of a different thread.

Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:15 pm 

hmmm. Having doubts about silly putty. I stuffed a pair of yard tennis balls with the stuff and it just seems to stiff and it's really hard to get into a small incision so I had to cut larger than I wanted. On the plus side, the putty conformed to the inside of the hole and basically sealed the ball, but I'm not sure I like it.

I grabbed some plasticine clay (non-toxic, non-drying modeling clay) on the cheap from Hobby Lobby to try as well. For just over a buck (packaging was damaged so it was marked down) I got a pound of material. Once pulled from the block it was far more maliable than the putty and much easier to insert. It weighs just a tick more than the putty so I didn't have to use as much. One Wopper Malted Milk Ball size chunk rolled and sealed inside worked wonders and the pound block did 14 spell balls with just under half the block used.

Preliminary judgement --> Plasticine. It's cheaper by far, easier to work with, and will be safer due to flexibility.

Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:17 pm 

Plasticine clay worked VERY well! Thank you Riverstone for supplying me with so many fine targets today!

Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:56 pm 

ok I am still new what i am wanting to know is what are yard tennis balls? are they regular tennis balls? and second is this method ok to use?

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:27 pm 

Sorry for the long wait for an answer, I've been off the boards for a while.

They are "solid" foam spheres (not hollow) and are squishy like something Nerf would make... I've not really been able to find anything from Nerf that meets my needs though. They are NOT hard rubber like actual Tennis or Raquet balls. Franklin (the company that makes them) produces these balls in three packs for about $1.99. I get them at Acadamy Sporting Goods, but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere.

Brewer of Laughing Fox

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences