Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Chainmail
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:04 pm 

Ok the rules state that 4in1 Euro Butted links are the baseline for chain. What about any other weave such as Non-European.

This is Elven mail. if you want to look at it in how many rings go into one. it is an alternating 5in1 to 4in1 combination, yet woven differently than the Euro style.

This is called Dragon Scale. it is a 4in1 European inlaid with another 4in1 European and woven together as one.

(No these are not my own creations but I can do them both quiet easily)

Now my question is What would the point value be for them??

Kyto Nichiro "Cheeto" is the name.
Enjoy fighting all day a living the ache the next day.
He who talks to a ring.

Post subject: Re: Chainmail
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:49 am 

Anything denser than typical European 4 in 1 is considered augmented chain. 4 points. Add gambison under the chain for 5. If the completed piece looks really good, there's a possibility for 6. If you have a 6th level warrior, they have an ability that adds another point. The disadvantage here is that it's going to be really heavy. Your "no be there fu" will suffer.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:57 pm 

Isn't Augmented Chain classified as Plates of leather or steel side by side with Chainmail or laced together??

He who talks to a ring.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:35 pm 

Yes, but also "or any of the Persian/Chinese weaves." (rules 7.6) which are usually denser weaves than euro 4 in 1. Your examples may qualify as double mail.

"Double mail: ‘8 in 2,’ or a mail in which a standard pattern is woven with two rings replacing every single ring."

Forgot about that one. With gambison this is 6 points, or 5 by itself.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:39 pm 

lol. Yea thats what I was thinking. I talked to Sutra during weapon master last week and he said it might be considered that. OH and my Elven weave is bigger than that one. I'm using 3/8ths rings. lol

He who talks to a ring.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:18 am 

In the middle of an unusual project now. Armor ratings are all over the place. It's down to the waist now. Those are 13 & 14 gage aluminum hexagons 1 1/2" across. The 16 gage 1/4" inside diameter stainless links are spring temper.

Last edited by Voshe on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:49 pm 

Looks cool as hell man. but that is exactly Augmented chain.

Base Armor Base Thickness Point Value
Augmented chain, riveted chain........... 1.58mm (16-gauge) ....... 4

Augmented chain: chain augmented in some fashion from the standard ‘4 in 1,’ such as plates attached to each
other by chain
, or any of the Persian/Chinese weaves.

The bolded section would be what your piece is qualified under (To me). With the Aluminum -1. 13-14 Gauge aluminum +1. If I was the champ at my park and you came up here, I'd give ya a Solid 4 points for it. Once I saw it and if it was superior construction I'd give ya another plus 1. But pictures are always taken as best advantage places. lol. Better to judge quality in person if ya know what I mean. But Good Job Bro.

He who talks to a ring.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:48 am 

Thanks.There are a lot of disagreements on classification. Technically, the plates are not connected by chain but links. The links are not chained together. Most who have seen it say augmented chain anyway, but some say that it is a form of lamilar. Historical descriptions of coin-mail (a precursor to chain) seem to match. There are similar examples in Persian and Asian armors too. Allowing a gambison to give it another point is debated. I really designed it with a gambison in mind. It's a bit loose without it. The biggest problem comes from it's weight. It's just now getting up to ten pounds with just the skirting left. Nobody wearing 60 pounds in a game would want to see me getting full point value. By my 6th life, I'm still running around dodging projectiles while they plod slowly across the field huffing and puffing. This is why many groups will deduct 2 for aluminum. I expect 3 points (aug chain 4 points -2 inauthentic +1 thickness) +1 for gambison. 4 points plus 1 for armor of quality (6th lvl warrior ability) is more than enough points to keep up with. Folks in the heavy stuff will still grumble.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:55 pm 

lol. They may grumble bout it but they take the heaviness for the full point value yet being slow sucks. I'd rather Light wieght and less points cause I can dodge just as good as no armor. lol

He who talks to a ring.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 pm 

Posted about this on E-Sam, and they seem to be in agreement (More or less) with your rating.

http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/v ... =3&t=23949

Last edited by Voshe on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:04 pm 

O.o?? ok E-Sam has this posting now. ok so they are ignorant about which part?? the whole Chain mail or your armor??

He who talks to a ring.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:13 pm 

They just mostly think of it as augmented chain, and that it should get the bonus for wearing a gambison. There was one guy that wanted to call it open faced brig. Open faced brig -1 (for not fitting the definition) another -2 for non authentic +1 heavy gage. So, 3 points without benefit from a gambison. But, that was just one guy. My own field just deducts 1 for inauthentic materials, which is countered by the thickness bonus. 4 points as augmented chain, and 5 when I can scratch up a gambison. My 6th level warrior can make that 6 points with armor of quality. Worth the work for my field.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:26 am 

Where did you get your plates voshe?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:31 am 

EniadNorreh wrote:
Where did you get your plates voshe?

I made them on a 4 ton hand operated punch press. One large punch-button set to pop the hexagons out of sheet, and another .140 round punch-button set (with locator) to punch a hole into each corner. The holes are all chamfered on a drill press and the edges all finished on a belt sander. In my next project, a rock polisher will deburr.

I posted a picture of the press I used in the currency thread.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2885&start=15

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:21 pm 

Super saxy armor thread! Woot!

Cold shower time!
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences