Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:14 pm 

Ok, I have been wanting to make my first javelin. I how ever have had mixed rules on the subject so I bring it to all who call Emerald Hills home. Is a javelin allowed to have a core or not? [smilie=icon_question.gif]

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:24 pm 

junk_warrior wrote:
Ok, I have been wanting to make my first javelin. I how ever have had mixed rules on the subject so I bring it to all who call Emerald Hills home. Is a javelin allowed to have a core or not? [smilie=icon_question.gif]

Yes. I can recommend carbon fiber golfshaft, kitespar, or PVC. PVC makes for a heavy javelin, so keep them close to minimum length when finished(36" or a bit over). Longer PVC cores will warp anyway. Pad the tip well. If people start to complain about the way it hits, your creation may be chucked from the field. A javelin has more weight behind it than throwies or arrows. An impact absorbing tip is important.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:38 pm 

Yes, a javelin has a core and may be used as a projectile AND a stab only melee. Also a good idea is to make fins on the non-striking end to stabilize it's flight.

Spoiler! :
Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best, you observe the least.
Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be deceived.
Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.
Trust, the fifth myth of reality: Every truth holds the seed of betrayal.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:53 pm 

Agreed. Weight is added to the back when you do this tho, and the javelin flies much better when it balances in the center. The front of these javelins uses a heavier construction than the back, which counters the added weight of the campmat and duct tape fins.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:14 pm 

Where can I find this in the rule book because the reeve at my park said they can't because it doesn't say it in the rule book.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:43 pm 

On page 5, Javelins are listed as the 1st weapon after the projectile category. Thus they are not considered to be a projectile weapon or ammunition as described in that section. As a standard weapon, the must be padded sufficiently around the core as described partially in the definition, and more generally in regards to weapon construction on page 8. In addition, under projectiles is clearly states that no projectile may be used to "block, parry, or melee". Javelines may do these things, so again, they are not considered a projectile.

As for their use as a projectile, this is an exception to the rule for weapons with cores as specifically stated in the weapon description. "May be thrown (counts as a projectile when in flight)."

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:27 am 

If I am still told that it can't have a core, who can I speak to about it?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:03 am 

Speak to Forest, Dark Tigger, and a myriad of other people. Me, I'm a champ. Delphos, uses javelins. There's plenty of people to back you up. JAVELINS can have CORES.

Just tell your people that "they" said so.

Spoiler! :
Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best, you observe the least.
Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be deceived.
Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.
Trust, the fifth myth of reality: Every truth holds the seed of betrayal.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:05 am 

seeme to me that your "reeve" doesnt know his shit and shouldnt be a reeve.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:19 am 

What park do you play at at who told you that your javelin can't have a core?

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:51 pm 

I said it..as a melee weapon I never denied the fact of it being able to have a core but the rules do specifically state projectiles can not have cores thats were the main safety issue comes in play

He fails to mention when the issue came up and others said it was allowed I told them all show me where it says Javelins are an exception to the others rules and are allow to have cores...Not a one could do it.

Am I saying its not standard practice for them to have cores no..but its something that should be clarified in the rules

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:17 pm 

I agree that the ROP could/should be clearer on javelins. I know the one I made long ago has a pvc core and really does need fins to make it fly straight. Adding 1/2 a tennis yard ball on top of your 3 end caps at the tip, for safety, works well.
At some point I need to tear mine down and make bigger fins and get rid of the pvc core.

On another question. Has anyone ever updated the old Amtgard, A Beginners Guide? It's the weapon making pages that need to be brought up to ROP 7.6. That free download has a ton of other useful information in it. IF you do use it as it stands now, make sure your weapons are made to current rule specs.

Amtgard also has How-To's on line. Again you have to make sure that any weapon How To's you find are made to ROP 7.6 standards. Some are really outdated.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:10 pm 

No it has not been updated because i have the most recent copy of the beginners guide. Also my intentions of this post was not to stir up any thing, mearly to get clarification on the subject.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:58 pm 

Aria wrote:
I said it..as a melee weapon I never denied the fact of it being able to have a core but the rules do specifically state projectiles can not have cores thats were the main safety issue comes in play

He fails to mention when the issue came up and others said it was allowed I told them all show me where it says Javelins are an exception to the others rules and are allow to have cores...Not a one could do it.

Am I saying its not standard practice for them to have cores no..but its something that should be clarified in the rules

javelins have always had cores.... i dont think i've ever seen a javelin that didnt...

common sense would dictate that if the rulebook says it doubles as a stab-only melee weapon, that the requirement for a melee weapon would be a core.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:25 pm 

Your right in the assumption Tobias, however the same can be said for the projectile portion of the javelin. I feel its more of a safety issue when it comes to it having a core.

Think of it this way I know many of us have been hit with a melee weapon that's foam has been damaged in some shape or form. Doesnt feel to good. Now image that same weapon being thrown at you. the added weight of the core and the force from being thrown can cause a lot more damage and/or pain then when it was just being swung. How often have you known of any body having issues (as in pain or injury) with a coreless throwing weapon.

Like I said before I am not arguing with it either way but the interpretation can looked at from both the melee side as well as a projectile side and In my opinion I felt the projectile stand point was the safest route to interpret it

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences