Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:43 pm 

ok, that's cool, i can understand that lol. but in this instance it all comes down to construction, because it's a real pain in the ass to make a javelin without a core lol.

which park are you guys from? im sure someone near there would be happy to show everyone how to make a legit and safe javelin. i used to toss one or two that looked like huge ballista bolts

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:36 pm 

Oh I can agree with that Tobias. Making a javelin without a core can be a pain. being coreless at the minimum length not so much but on up to its maximum length def.(then again at its maximum length it can be a pain with or without a core lol) We are from Artus Pass

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:01 am 

There is an omission in the rulebook that's creating the confusion. ROP V.7.2 “Projectiles, with the exception of javelins, may not have solid cores.” If this sentence had made it into V7.5 and V7.6 it would be less confusing. A core is implied in the newer versions, but not spelled out clearly.

A floppy javelin wouldn't fly very far with any accuracy, and stabbing/blocking in melee would just be silly.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:07 am 

Thats what I mean Voshe me and my family came in just before 7.5 came out (and by just before I mean like 2 months) so I never seen that insert, so it does need to be added back in for future players.As far as floppy I realize that can be an issue on the short end of a javelin there are ways you can stiffen it up but yes on the long end it would be quit difficult (then again at 72" it would still be difficult even with a core lol)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:15 pm 

I once made a full length 6’ javelin. I made it per request. Looked just like the pictures I posted, just much longer with a silver and black color scheme. With 5/8” kite spar, it wasn’t too whippy, but it did have problems. It was too long to be an effective downspear. This just made it a long heavy spear in melee. The weight came from being so long, fully padded and using a heavier core for rigidity. The real problem came from its use as a projectile. Unless you were throwing at a hard core ditch-monkey (or chronic sluffer), you couldn’t throw it full force. It packed a whollup. To illustrate this, I requested that its new owner take a full force throw. He said “OK”, and then “OOOWWWWWCH!!!” It wouldn’t leave a mark, but by just about any definition, it hurt. I now limit my javelins to about 4 ½’ (54”), or just over min length for the ½” SCH 40 PVC cored javelins. A boffer that you have to use with extra care just isn’t as much fun.

If you want a more obscure rule that most people don’t know about, take “hand on weapon”. Because of the wording in the rules, the javelin isn’t specifically defined as a melee weapon.

ROP V.7.6 “Hand shots count as a hit to the arm unless you are holding a melee weapon or wielding a shield in that hand, in which case it counts as hitting the weapon or shield.
”Javelins “May be thrown (counts as a projectile when in flight) and used to melee (including blocking and parrying).”

Like the madu, which takes the best and worst from shield and sword, the javelin takes the best and worst from spear and throwie. If you want to hit the ditch field with a javelin, be sure that it’s understood that you’re using it as a non slash legal sword. Otherwise, a strike to your hand will take that arm. I would think that this obscure rule is subject to interpretation, but it has come up and been supported at our park.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:36 pm 

I am not seeing where the javeline would not count as a melee weapon if you were using it to melee. So I don't see wh ya hand shot while holding a javiline wouldn't count.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm 

Forest Evergreen wrote:
I am not seeing where the javeline would not count as a melee weapon if you were using it to melee. So I don't see wh ya hand shot while holding a javiline wouldn't count.

Oh, I'm with you. A little arrow can do 2 to 5 points of damage and have special effects, but the larger more cumbersome and more difficult to build (when done well) javelin does one? This little nerf (hand on weapon) just seems to add insult to injury. What's the diff between a weapon that can be used to melee, and a melee weapon? Interestingly enough, the guy that first proposed this interpretation isn't some whiney rules lawyer. He's our fields best fighter. He's got as much time in the game as our oldest members, and it was gained at several parks. His opinion carries weight.

What I would like to see is the javelin becoming red when thrown. A bit more historical accuracy, and more people would start using them.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:30 am 

Thank you all for your post and for the clarification, it is much appriciated. [smilie=icon_cheesygrin.gif]

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:14 am 

Voshe wrote:
Forest Evergreen wrote:

Oh, I'm with you. A little arrow can do 2 to 5 points of damage and have special effects, but the larger more cumbersome and more difficult to build (when done well) javelin does one? This little nerf (hand on weapon) just seems to add insult to injury. What's the diff between a weapon that can be used to melee, and a melee weapon? Interestingly enough, the guy that first proposed this interpretation isn't some whiney rules lawyer. He's our fields best fighter. He's got as much time in the game as our oldest members, and it was gained at several parks. His opinion carries weight.

What I would like to see is the javelin becoming red when thrown. A bit more historical accuracy, and more people would start using them.

yeah a red javelin would be really awesome and we would definitely see more of them in use I believe.

as to the question it does state it must be padded its entire length and the definition of padded is at least 1/2" of foam over the weapons core. This kinda thing is why i hope we get the chance to kill any typo's for 8th before they happen (like getting fresh eyes to proof read).

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences