Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Round Bades/Flat Blades
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:20 pm 

Round blades or flat blades? Personally I would love for flat blades to become the standard and round blades go the way of the dodo, but whats your oppinion on the subject Emerald Hills. [smilie=icon_question.gif]

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:05 pm 

flat blades require an ammount of expertise and control that most dont have. and with most people making flat blades with round grips, accidents will be more apt to happen.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:18 am 

Could you elabirate on that for me because I am not fully understanding how? [smilie=icon_question.gif]

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:26 am 

Because when you hold a flat blade with a round hilt the blade can turn in your hand without you knowing it, then when you hit some poor sucker with the flat of your sword it's going to cause an issue.

nuff said...???

[smilie=icon_cool.gif]

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:54 pm 

Sir Delphos Darkheart wrote:
Because when you hold a flat blade with a round hilt the blade can turn in your hand without you knowing it, then when you hit some poor sucker with the flat of your sword it's going to cause an issue.

nuff said...???

[smilie=icon_cool.gif]

yeah exactly, lol.

knowing where the cutting edge of your blade is is key to fighting with a flat blade, and with a round grip there's no way of knowing unless you pay attention to your sword.. which isn't where you want your eyes in a fight.

real swords for instance, we'll take that famous japanese blade as the example.

the hilt is rectangular. the sides of the tsuka (grip) the correspond with either side fo the blade are longer than the sides that correspond with the cutting edge and the spine of the blade, so when you grab it your hand automatically knows where the edge is and which direction it is.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:37 pm 

I love flatblades. I use them 90% of the time to great success. Yes it requires a different set of skill and a different fighting style than the omniblade. But the appearance and ambiance it adds is well worth it.

The best way to prevent blade twisting or having to recheck the alignment of the edge every two seconds in battle is to take a chopstick, and tape it to the handle so that it is in line with your blade. That the handle will always let you know where your edge is and so you can strike with confidence that the resulting hit won't be flat.

Spoiler! :
Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best, you observe the least.
Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be deceived.
Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.
Trust, the fifth myth of reality: Every truth holds the seed of betrayal.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:47 pm 

Myth Of Reality wrote:
I love flatblades. I use them 90% of the time to great success. Yes it requires a different set of skill and a different fighting style than the omniblade. But the appearance and ambiance it adds is well worth it.

The best way to prevent blade twisting or having to recheck the alignment of the edge every two seconds in battle is to take a chopstick, and tape it to the handle so that it is in line with your blade. That the handle will always let you know where your edge is and so you can strike with confidence that the resulting hit won't be flat.

its easier to fix that during construction, then putting a grip over it, like wrapped rope is real nice, lol, one of my knives is rope-bound. i find though that heating and flattening PVC pipe makes for a comfortable grip and is easier to put over lighter cores like golf shaft and kitespar. heck for shortswords, just heat and flatten a whole section of pvc and it almost negates the idea of the foam twisting or warping around the circular core because its flat an the sides have more surface area to adhere to.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:26 am 

I completely agree with Tobias and Myth. It takes a different set of skills to use and construct flat blades. And it is easier to use and construct a round blade, that being said flat blades done right are much safer than round blades.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:25 am 

Whoa... don't get ahead of yourself. The margin of error for a flat blade is MUCH larger than a omniblade. Flatblades are more complicated and easier to hurt people with. I'm not gonna lie.

Flattening PVC? Doesn't that take the "hollow" out of the term "hollow core"? Or are you making more of an oval or ellipse with an open center?

Spoiler! :
Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best, you observe the least.
Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be deceived.
Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:23 pm 

yeah myth, lol, i mean make it more ovular, the cross section would be like a rectangle with the short sides rounded lol. almost the shape of dogtags. lol

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:20 pm 

I actually use golf club shafts and strips camp foan on the handle.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:09 pm 

junk_warrior wrote:
I actually use golf club shafts and strips camp foan on the handle.

lol, but i want people to feel my shots so i tend to use PVC alot lol

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:10 pm 

bug report here btw, lol, the underline button only puts [u] on either side. it omits the slash for the ending u

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:42 am 

Interesting. Though I'm not fond of PVC I do tend to favor longer, and heavier flat blades. Warping PVC does sound like there are many possibilities.

Spoiler! :

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:39 pm 

F this and F that and sh!t brains you and me and everybody!

Phew, for a sec there I thought this thread was going to be 100% productive.

You're welcome.
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences