Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:49 am 

junk_warrior wrote:
Why can't we have that in amtgard? [smilie=icon_sad.gif] [smilie=icon_question.gif]

Oh oh... isn't that the question?

Spoiler! :
Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best, you observe the least.
Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be deceived.
Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.
Trust, the fifth myth of reality: Every truth holds the seed of betrayal.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:09 am 

[
junk_warrior wrote:
Why can't we have that in amtgard? [smilie=icon_sad.gif] [smilie=icon_question.gif]

you know all swordknights with those 3 ounce sticks? thats why. there's no realisim in this game whatsoever.

oh well we can have weightless round "swords" but heaven forbid if armor is made out of plastic!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:43 am 

I completely agree with you, what could be done or rather who could I try talking to about that?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:24 am 

Flatblades or plastic armor?

Spoiler! :
Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best, you observe the least.
Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be deceived.
Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:03 pm 

with plastic armor people will bitch and whine and call it "leather" then give you -1 for inauthentic materials.

but you know its cool to cast spells and shoot fiberglass bows.

there would be a lot more armored people out there if they didnt have to dish out 200+ bucks for armor and could just make it out of readily available materials that have less of a chance of cutting you to ribbons...

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:22 pm 

Myth, I am talking about both actually.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:45 pm 

back in the day there were actual weight requirements for weapons.

but seeing as everything going to the "as light as possible" realm, i personally think that alternative materials not be discriminated against.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:47 pm 

Your completely right, it's a double standard that I for one don't agree with at all, I honestly feel something needs to be done about this.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:09 am 

Think about the power level comparatively. A light weapon may make you faster but each point of armor increases you survivability by alot and give you the ability to simply run over people without armor.

Spoiler! :

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:39 pm 

Yes but it would be a lot easier and cheaper for eveyone to get armor. Which equates to a LOT of people running around in armor.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:43 pm 

Which would be awsome by the way.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 pm 

Are you sure? Everyone running around in plastic suits, everyone keeping track of numbers, and what about the classes not able to wear armor? What happens to monks? The rarity of armor keeps that game as balanced as it is. If an influx of armor were to happen, many classes (like monk) would become nearly unplayable.

Spoiler! :

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:26 pm 

No it wouldn't it would just take more thinking to play the class, and a lot of players (like my self) who want armor and aren't in a financal position to dish out $300+ for armor would be able to afford it.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:28 am 

we used to classify plastic armor as bone (1 point in 5th ed lol). they have already lightened the gauge base to 18 instead of 16 which has a lot more larp shops making 18 gauge armor for a lot less. I have found a site that sells 18g arm and leg sets for 27.90 a pair. You can track down sca elbow and knee cops for 25.00 a pair, and I'm talking to a merchant about getting 4" x 8" 16 gauge plates (rounded corners and 4 holes) for brig armor at 1.50 a plate. Also The Mercenary's tailor has 12 1.5" x 2" 16g steel scales for 3.00.

Basically if you want armor you can get it cheap and get one piece at a time over a few months to a year, like most of us did lol.

Also bad news to ultralight fighters, been hearing reports that fun noodle and wacky noodle have been changed. they are no longer 2.5" across so they will fail eye socket legal rules, and the new foam breaks down a LOT faster than the older foam. I have confirmed the 2.5" across with my reeves tool (2.5" diam metal ring from Tandy leather lol) it will just slide right through, Ive been adding tape and foam width at the stab tip to get it to pass.

oh here is that larp site with the cheap steel armor http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/c-5-functional-armour.aspx

id love to see more armored fighters out on the fields.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:32 am 

Thorgar is right about the funoodle, this current breed of noodle isn't 2.5 around. I checked all my round blades made with this summers noodle and none of them past, and they began breaking down after using them twice. We checked if them was 2.5 after one broke down. Which goes back to my earlier statement about flat blades being safer, after I was showed how to make flate blades properly at AP by (can't remember his name) at a flat blade demo i used the sword for months fighting really hard with it at that, and it never gave on any part of the foam. As far as the armor Thorgar, how much would that actually cost in comparison to plastic armor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences