Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Weapon cores
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:45 am 

what are good materials for building weapons, OTHER than golf club?

Post subject: Re: Weapon cores
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:52 am 

Depends on the weapon length. Anything shorter than 36" you can get away with PVC, but it can get a little whippy at the top end of that range. 505 kitespar was very popular for weapons at one time and is still a good choice, but a bit more expensive than the alternatives. For long weapons, I like bamboo, but some people use pole vault cores.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:18 am 

Fiberglass of various sizes seems to be the most popular in the groups I socialize with.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:51 pm 

Bamboo is incredibly inconsistent. I had a lovely little quick pole to lasted for a year an a half of heavy use, the next two poles I made broke within a month. Forest is right, PVC is only good for short swords. What is the desire to distance yourself from "golf club"?

Spoiler! :
Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best, you observe the least.
Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be deceived.
Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.
Trust, the fifth myth of reality: Every truth holds the seed of betrayal.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:20 pm 

if the golf club has any break in it it creates thousands of micro stress fractures and the core will eventually snap/break. I am trying to make a set of weapons that incorporates the lighter tech but not an ultralight (i hate how they feel in my hands).

As for PVC cores i find 1" id sch 40 excellent for 5' tall weapons and 1-1/4" id sch 40 good for 6' weapons, 1/2" is good for 2.5' and under 3/4" good for 3.5 feet or less. My only issues with them is the size requires more padding to make them safe thus more mass. Normally i would not have an issue with this but seeing as I have knocked two people out cold with safe but heavy weapons, i am taking it upon myself to retrain for lighter combat with lighter weapons.

Like i always say I'm out there to have fun not ruin the fun of others, and sadly until i recondition my self my live steel and SCA training keeps popping up. Admittedly very nice kill shots fired from muscle memory but (as has been pointed out) its not good for amtgard.

So i am trying to find a happy medium between old school heavy and more modern lighter blades. I am thinking with a smaller core i can get more padding on the weapon to achieve the same 2.5" across, thus making my impacts a bit more safe.

heh sorry for the wall of text [smilie=icon_eek.gif]

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:48 pm 

What park do you go to? I've been making flatblades that have some weight. Their shape lets them cut through the air and the weight applies alot of force. It's weight in the fact that its much heavier that those pixie sticks some people swing around.

Spoiler! :
Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best, you observe the least.
Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be deceived.
Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.
Trust, the fifth myth of reality: Every truth holds the seed of betrayal.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:11 pm 

I play at Artus Pass, good people there. I am testing a new core i found today, a fiberglass rod of 3/8" diameter, i am taking two of them and placing them side by side to add strength and grip size. I am wary of taking them past two foot in length so I will be making two 26"-28" flat blades.

I am on the final stages of the first one and so far everything looks good as soon as its complete I will go ballistic with it on a punching bag to see what kind of forces it can withstand. If it holds up to my tests I'll make the second one and take them out to be inspected by our park champion.

I am also looking at getting some old Ed Hallen sword cores from a friend.

As to flatblades i make them myself but am looking to lighten them up a bit while adding more padding. hence the search for good but small cores.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:27 pm 

For those of you who use thinner cores, what do you put onto the core as a base? Or do you just leave a gap and slap some noodle on?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:37 pm 

I think the general consensus is if you're using noodle it doesn't generally last long enough to worry about. Building up the core adds a little longevity, not much, and at the cost of weight.

If you do build up your core I've seen pieces of scrap foam taped to the core to achieve the desired width. Common foams for this purpose are scrap noodle and blue foam but I've also seen small mc sheets used. Then you can decide whether you want to build up the whole core, the base, middle and tip, or just the tip.

I would personally suggest using scrap camp foam or noodle to build up the last 6-9 inches or so. That has been a good combination in my experience.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:29 pm 

actually im using black pipe insulation to wrap the core then MC foam to wrap that until its 2.5" across, or im going flat blade which has a very safe impact profile.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:29 pm 

I have found fun noodle to break down too fast for me to feel comfortable hitting other people with it.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:30 am 

Has anybody experimented with pepekura cores? They would have to be up to a high standard but a viable, cheap alternative for a strong, light weapon core

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:22 am 

Tank Ramsey wrote:
Has anybody experimented with pepekura cores? They would have to be up to a high standard but a viable, cheap alternative for a strong, light weapon core

what is Pepekura?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:11 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:28 pm 

Tobias that was completely uncalled for, so thanks for preventing this post from being 100% productive to those posting and those reading it.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences