Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: EXPLODING BABYS!!!!!!!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:29 pm 

Ok now that I have your attention I have a question. I am wanting to make an amtgard legal scythe but I have no idea where to even start. I am going to make the shaft about 4-1/2 to 5 feet long

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:10 pm 

Unless you're handy with treating PVC to bend, or someone else knows a way to make a perpendicular join with a core, you're probably going to be best going and getting a length of PVC the length you want the haft, and attaching a piece about the length you want the blade with an elbow joint.

At that length though, it'll be pretty damn whippy, and a scythe blade will be difficult to control. Fun prop weapon though, if you make a flatblade, and style it out. I saw a pic of a really nice one someone did a long time ago on ESam, but I have no idea what thread it was.

Oh, and if you have no idea where to start, I'll assume you've never done anything with PVC joints before, and remind you to get the proper adhesive for attaching lengths to joints. My first time playing around with them, I made an mostly-illegal keyblade for a friend of mine. Forgot the sticky, and the actual "key" portion went flying when he swung it.

That all said... I demand my exploding babies.

Though all I see is corrupted, and all I touch crumbles like ash... Though the world may be dead, the light of my god will nourish and His shadow will revive, for my faith is beyond breaking, and guides me towards the moment I wake from this Dream.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:55 pm 

Sorry we ran out of babes shortly after my first post. [smilie=icon_sad.gif] But it was awsome. But I was going to try using pvc and a golf club shaft run through it for the blade.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:30 am 

junk_warrior wrote:
Sorry we ran out of babes shortly after my first post.

--Backhand-- You fiiiilthy swine.

junk_warrior wrote:
But I was going to try using pvc and a golf club shaft run through it for the blade.

I'm usually not one to discourage trying something just to see how/if it'll work... but please do not try that. Not with PVC and golf shaft especially. Things can shatter. It's not pretty.

Though all I see is corrupted, and all I touch crumbles like ash... Though the world may be dead, the light of my god will nourish and His shadow will revive, for my faith is beyond breaking, and guides me towards the moment I wake from this Dream.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:34 am 

A scythe... yeah. In concept it sounds great! reach over shields with that crazy curve, have that reach, and own that field. Unfortunately it's design is flawed. The joint where the "blade" meets the "shaft" is you weak point. The leverage caused by combat will break your weapon like a wishbone. The only... small... miniscule chance you could make even a short-sword sized scythe is... heating and bending the PVC. Though the heating and cooling will cause the PVC lose it's flexibility. Even after all the slow heating and bending, it may still shatter.

(Flails work.)

Spoiler! :
Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best, you observe the least.
Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be deceived.
Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.
Trust, the fifth myth of reality: Every truth holds the seed of betrayal.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:44 pm 

you should come out to mwg some more... there was one of these out a few weeks ago. needs a cover but yeah...

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:53 pm 

Monkey made one. There are pictures and some explanations in this thread

http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/v ... =3&t=23928

and here

http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/v ... =3&t=22972

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:14 pm 

It doesn't explain how he made it though.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:45 pm 

There was a scythe a few weeks ago. It looked good. Was it in play? Did it survive play? Why hasn't it returned? Will it continue to survive play for a period comparable to a sword?

Spoiler! :
Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best, you observe the least.
Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be deceived.
Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:43 pm 

Again it doesn't explain how to make it. I am going for the whole cleric of a death god theme.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:20 pm 

Myth, most of the swords I have seen only last about a month; so that's not saying much.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:07 am 

Most of the swords I make last for at least 4.

Spoiler! :

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:53 am 

There's a big difference between the force that people put in their swings. Some folks go tappy tap, while others put some stank on it. If you can make a noodle sword last 4 months with a heavy hitter, you're doing good.

If you have access to a jigsaw or bandsaw, a belt sander and a drill press, you can make your own union. I made a handle for a pair of tonfas from thick lexan (polycarbonate) a couple of years ago. Those are still around, and have seen a lot of action. If you play with more than minimal force, a PVC union won't hold up.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:39 am 

Impressive work. That would definitely stand up to some punishment.

Spoiler! :

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:26 pm 

Thanks. I detailed the construction of those tonfas pretty thorough with lots of pics and a diagram. They were part of a discussion on e-sam.

There are a lot of possibilities with custom unions. You can slightly undersize the hole you drill for the core or cores being used, heat the plastic, and drive in the core. The plastic contracts on cooling. No glue required, and the union is solid. You could even drill a core hole in one side of a plastic cylinder, and cut & file a slot in the other. In this way you could use a piece of rigid PVC foamboard as a core for a short flatblade construction. The foamboard core would have epoxy and plastic pins holding it there. Been meaning to make an axe using this method.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences