Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:01 pm 

Aylin_Karyn wrote:
I have a question about the heraldry category. I designed my heraldry several years ago, and I think I entered a plain drawing of it in an A&S tourney once, but I don’t remember for certain. I plan to create a wood-burning + paint piece to display my heraldry and want confirm whether it wouldn’t be more appropriate to enter as 2D art since the design is not new, though this piece is.

Typically if the specific piece is new it's generally been allowed. Example, I could have designed my heraldry many years ago, and entered it. Then several years later I improved/updated the heraldry it could be entered again, as the piece itself is new. Think along the lines of something like a Tunic. Someone can use the same pattern 50 times and create 50 different tunics, and enter each of them with no problems as they are all "unique" (read not the same exact tunic) pieces. With your question, regarding the wood-burning+paint I would honestly suggest 2d art as you'd probably get a better score from it, as it should be judged on the artistic quality rather than the heraldric significance of the piece.

Now I do have a question in a similar vein. An item such as Aylin's describing, would it be allowed to be entered in multiple categories? IE both 2d Art & Heraldry? I know what's typically been ruled in the past, but wanted to get the current regent's take on the matter.

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:03 pm 

I worry about a simple heraldric design being judged against the complex artistry (and probably visual depth and layering) of other 2D items, which is why I'd prefer to enter it in the heraldry category.

Either way, I'll bring it out to one of the ES workshop days for input. Will our regent be attending one of those?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:07 am 

Hopefully she comes out on the 19th. That's when I'm running the water-fight out at Eagleshire and am hoping to get attendance from other parks as well, so hopefully we'll have a really great turnout.

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:50 pm 

The maximum of 15 entries, is that a hard limit, or is it just only the top 15 will be included in the score?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:53 am 

. An entry should not be entered into nor receive scores for more than one category. It's one work of art. I would be personally offended at this being allowed at any arts event in the game as a whole. .... As for your piece Aylin, given the current categories listed I'd say either woodworking or heraldry. I don't necessarily subscribe to the school of thought that the heraldry has to be new or original. It is the display, history, and/or blazon of said emblem. Any banner constructed, be it personal, park, company, or kingdom I would presume to fit the heraldry category better than any other, despite the fact that I did not in fact create the insignia for the Emerald Hills.

Dame Nightengael Bahuas
Nightmare of Artus Pass
Dragonmaster X XX XXX
Sable Pride Stormtrooper 66

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:15 pm 

if anyone wants feed back on their items per-competition (so you can make last minute adjustments ect.) or would like to give constructive criticism to people wanting to enter please come to Eagleshire this Sunday or next Sunday. (Though for anonymity sake, if you're going to be judging DM please stay away from our park the next two weeks. also, speaking of anonymity if you haven't read Aylin's thread about it on the A&S board please do and comment, i'd like to hear some more opinions on the matter)

(also, this weekend the kingdom Champion is holding a water fight)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:33 pm 

I will be in attendance and I do appologize deeply for my abscence. When I left to help with serious and personal family matters, I was under the impression I'd be gone a couple of days at the most. Turned out they needed me for a whole week. I'm not trying to make excuses for not attending a very exciting and important event. I just want you to know that I wasn't washing my fur or chasing deer or something equally frivilous. And, excuse my bad spelling. Without spell check, I am lost.

Now on to a question that has not been answered by the populace, already;
Darkangel wrote:
The maximum of 15 entries, is that a hard limit, or is it just only the top 15 will be included in the score?

That is, indeed a hard limit. It came with much deliberaion. My reasons to keep such a small limit is in regards to the number of categories and subcategories that I have to choose from. For the sake of time and judges sanity, I felt that limit was for the best.

I am open to feedback or suggestions if you have a good alternative. I may not follow people's advice to the letter. But, if you present a good case, it will certainly expose me to different points of view and maybe open my eyes to something I may have missed or overlooked!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:00 pm 

while we did miss you sunday, it's understandable. hope everything is ok.

i do have one more question before Sunday, i'm intending to help people fill out their cards for the judges if they need it (btw Aylin i'd really like your help to make sure mine are gramatically correct and not too rambly if you don't mind...) when aylin asked what to put on the cards you said her suggestions were good, but you were also going to ask the judges that you'd acquired, did they have any other suggestions that we should keep in mind?

also, would you like a master list of the entries from each person? and do you want us to list out the awards that we have on such? (just to make it more convenient for you if you choose to give out awards to people)

and last, but not least; I know that in the past the regent has only handed out the higher level awards since it's a kingdom competition, they don't want court to last forever... and other various reasons that make sense... However, as park regent i'm still learning what's worth a lower level award and what's not... also, i'm afraid that i won't necessarily get to see everyone's work from my park (these two sundays will help, but i'm still afraid i'll miss something...) if you see something from my park that deserves something you think should be handed out at park level will you pretty please let me know.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:52 pm 

wallflower wrote:
While we did miss you Sunday, it is understandable. Hope everything is ok.

Everything has come to a peaceful plateau, thankfully. I am just glad it is over!

wallflower wrote:
You were also going to ask the judges that you had acquired, did they have any other suggestions that we should keep in mind?

Actually, your question has perfect timing. I was just about to post a confirmation to where and when all of the judges can attend reminding them that it is coming up VERY soon. I was also going to iron out all the last minute details with them, just to make sure it is as easy on the judges as possible. My main goal is prevent this DM from becoming a pain in anyone’s butts as well as creating an environment that encourages creativity and thinking outside the box. I also want to challenge our patrons to new, hopefully higher levels of skill, discovering talents they never knew they had or did not think would fit into a category.

wallflower wrote:
Also, would you like a master list of the entries from each person? And, do you want us to list out the awards that we have on such? (just to make it more convenient for you if you choose to give out awards to people)

That would be amazing! I would love to do anything in my power to make the process of judging and awarding as easy as possible. I just do not want the list of awards to be on the write-ups. On the other hand, having it on a master list is a great idea!

wallflower wrote:
I'm still learning what's worth a lower level award and what's not... also, I’m afraid that I won't necessarily get to see everyone's work from my park (these two Sundays will help, but I’m still afraid I’ll miss something...) if you see something from my park that deserves something you think should be handed out at park level will you pretty please let me know

I will create a template for a master list and on it will be the park that the entrants are coming from. This will not be viewed by anyone judging until the end of the DM. I will pass this along to you and any other park whose players entered. Compared with the notes from the competitions, it should give you a great idea of whom is award worthy. I will also include special notations for anything that particularly catches my eye or that of the judges.

Great input! Keep it coming! We are running out of time, but it is never too late to give your opinion!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:56 pm 

Passive construction category?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:15 pm 

Is there anything that could go into the Passive Category that isn't covered in another?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:43 pm 

Shields and weapons

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:53 am 

Point taken. Done and done. :)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:18 pm 

Thanks much!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:36 pm 

My pleasure!!! And, here is some VITAL information everyone will need to know ASAP!!!

Click on this link of you are an entrant:
http://www.amtgard-eh.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7604

Click on this link of you are a judge:
http://www.amtgard-eh.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7605

IMPORTANT REMINDER!

Dragonmaster will be held with WeaponMaster at Morningwood Glen on Saturday the first of September and at Pirates Landing on Sunday the second of September.

There is a minimum requirement of 5 total entries in 5 separate Main Categories. There is also a maximum of 15 total entries in at least 10 Main Categories with a cap of 3 entries in each Sub-Category.

If you are interested in entering, please bring your beverages in 7 individually waxed/otherwise totally SEALED containers that the judges can safely take home for consumption without risking persecution from mundane law.

Written Entries Must Be Sent to SearchingForClaudia@Yahoo.Com 3 Days Before Dragonmaster! If this is impossible for you, please bring 7 written entries for each judge to have a personal copy of so that they can take them home and read them at their leisure.

Please use the write ups I have provided in the packet below and keep your descriptions detailed, but brief to also save the judges time and eye strain.

Please make sure to include any and all ingredients in foods to avoid accidentally triggering food allergies. And, make sure to enter them first where they will be judged before all else. We can't predict the weather in either Texas or Oklahoma, so keeping the food entries at the correct temperature is up to you! If it is something that tastes great hot, but horrid cold (or visa versa), bear that in mind before bringing it.

I will be at each park between 10/11am and the cut off for entering your items will be 1pm. If you foresee yourself running late because of unavoidable circumstances or last minute crisis's and you call to warn us before you arrive or contact me the day before and explain, exceptions will be made. But, if you just show up at two without any preemptive knowledge, then we can't help you.

But, remember, we are judging by category and the first two will be without a doubt food then performances. So, if you do come late, expect possible frustration from myself and the judges for throwing a wrench into the works.

Thank you and sincerely,
Zelodie, Kingdom Regent & Royal Pain in the A$$

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences