Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:28 pm 

That is correct! I am glad it helps. That's the reaction I was intending for! So, thank you!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:56 am 

I actually just noticed something... You have Active Construction, but you have no Passive Construction category.

Also you're using the old definition of Active/Passive construction. We started using a different definition as this one can be more confusing to people. The usual definitions we go with is Active Construction: An item not fitting the requirements of the other categories (weapon, armor, etc.) meant to be taken on the field. (ie, spellballs, seige weapons, shield, etc.) Passive: '' Not meant to be taken on the field (court sceptor, crowns, etc). Not telling you to change it, just giving you another option to go with if you choose.

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 pm 

Forest Evergreen wrote:
I would call it court garb, because it IS what a dancer would wear to perform in court. That being said, the judges need to understand that it is not "formal" wear and that it is designed for a specific purpose.

Great explanation, Forest. Thank you. I always got hung up on the "formal" bit.

Also, Zelodie, has scoring been decided upon? Will it be the usual "better than average" system where you subtract 3.5 from the average score of each item and add the remainders?

Last edited by Aylin_Karyn on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:07 pm 

Aylin_Karyn wrote:
Has scoring been decided upon? Will it be the usual "better than average" system where you subtract 3.5 from the average score of each item and add the remainders?

More than likely scoring will be the same. I'm doing more research into it before it's posted. I just don't want to misspeak on the matter.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:05 pm 

Ok, so the location for the second day of DM/WM has been changed. It will now be held at Pirate's Landing.

Squire to Sir Logan T. Black
Clan Chieftain of the Turtle Clan
Ship's Surgeon, HMS "Turtle's Revenge"
Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:01 pm 

DON'T CONFUSE ME WITH YOUR LOGIC!!!!!

[smilie=icon_redface.gif]

Oh, wait, wrong thread.....

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:20 pm 

Deadline for written entries? It makes the judges' lives a helluva lot easier if you require they be turned in early.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:27 pm 

Aylin. I think your beeing two picky: about this. Ewe need" to knot bee' sew; strict.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:25 am 

What information would you specifically like included on the write-ups?

Title of piece
    Category
    Time spent
    How it was done
    Materials
    Brief history of the art form
    Level of experience with the medium
    List of prior awards received

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:59 pm 

Anything that would help the judges, really. What you listed is good, minus perhaps the list of prior awards received. We're trying to keep this as anonymous as possible.

Also, for the sake of judges sanity, we're aiming for brief write-ups, too.

I found out the hard way that writing a book about each piece can backfire on you, so I'm encouraging everyone to stick to the necessities. If it's not vital to the piece you've entered, then don't worry about it.

And, legibility is a key point, too. I'm sure that you have amazing penmanship, so this is more for people who have some difficulties in that area. If this is the case, print them out. I did mine at the library, since I don't have a printer, myself.

But, all of these are just suggestions. Ultimately, each judge will determine what they feel is enough, lacking, or overkill. That's definitely something we're going to need to discuss at the pre-DM meeting. Because what one judge feels is too much, another might feel is just right. There's definitely a lot of diversity for expectations for write ups.

Hope that helped?

[smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:30 pm 

Zelodie-Local-Satyr wrote:
And, legibility is a key point, too. I'm sure that you have amazing penmanship, so this is more for people who have some difficulties in that area.
[smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

Hell naw; I'm a southpaw. I *always* type it up.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:43 pm 

Hahahahaha, LOL. That's too funny

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:15 am 

Zelodie, thank you for putting so much thought into this. I like how you responded to the feedback. I look forward to seeing how this will work out.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:55 pm 

I have a question about the heraldry category. I designed my heraldry several years ago, and I think I entered a plain drawing of it in an A&S tourney once, but I don’t remember for certain. I plan to create a wood-burning + paint piece to display my heraldry and want confirm whether it wouldn’t be more appropriate to enter as 2D art since the design is not new, though this piece is.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:52 pm 

2-d or passive, either would be ok.

Squire to Sir Logan T. Black
Clan Chieftain of the Turtle Clan
Ship's Surgeon, HMS "Turtle's Revenge"
Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences