Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:40 pm 

Oh, no, not endreign!!!! I can't torture them like that!!! I know that I tend to be slow moving and deliberate in each step I take (perhaps too much so), but that's just mean!

No, no, I'll have this done asap! It should have been done by now and for that, I again apologize!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:06 pm 

Banner Wars is an acceptable alternative. That gives Zelly and extra month to work this out. I think we can do that.

Squire to Sir Logan T. Black
Clan Chieftain of the Turtle Clan
Ship's Surgeon, HMS "Turtle's Revenge"
Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:07 pm 

Zelly, take the month. Slow down and don't worry about it. The folks who this is gonna affect are fine with waiting and are all gonna be at WBW. You need to be worrying about the ball.

Squire to Sir Logan T. Black
Clan Chieftain of the Turtle Clan
Ship's Surgeon, HMS "Turtle's Revenge"
Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:19 pm 

I hear you, there. I do hear what you are saying. But, asking me to not hit this full force and stress my out through the other end is like asking me not to breathe. I like breathing. And, the ball is just another huge thing that I'm going to be fidgeting and fussing over until it's done. Just being honest. :)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:15 pm 

wallflower wrote:
CrimsonWitch wrote:
I have a couple of questions. Did any serpent knights or masters enter this DM and who were the judges?

I'm curious what serpent knights or masters entering the competition matters, The items are judged with the same expectations (because they don't know who entered what items) by judges who are respected.

It matters because a first time judge, someone new to the game, or someone without knowledge of how to do a particular item will score things differently than someone with knowledge of what to look for. A newer person may see a chainmaille necklace and give it a 4 or 5 even because it looks so cool and hard, where as someone who has made several similar ones might view it as simple or basic and score it as a 3.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:58 pm 

cynisca wrote:
wallflower wrote:
CrimsonWitch wrote:
I have a couple of questions. Did any serpent knights or masters enter this DM and who were the judges?

I'm curious what serpent knights or masters entering the competition matters, The items are judged with the same expectations (because they don't know who entered what items) by judges who are respected.

It matters because a first time judge, someone new to the game, or someone without knowledge of how to do a particular item will score things differently than someone with knowledge of what to look for. A newer person may see a chainmaille necklace and give it a 4 or 5 even because it looks so cool and hard, where as someone who has made several similar ones might view it as simple or basic and score it as a 3.

You both seem to be answering different questions. Crimson had 2 questions although they were both located within a single sentence. Wallflower asked for clarification on one of those questions and then is almost looks like you attacked her for it Cyn.

As far as 'Does it matter who entered the competition,' I'm with Wallflower. It shouldn't matter. As for as 'who were the judges,' that does matter... in fact half of this thread has been about that topic in particular.

I guess... Cyn, could you repost what you were trying to say, because I found that it would have related better if you had quoted any number of other posts in this thread rather than the one that you did OR I'm misunderstanding your post way more than I think I am and it somehow does relate to the post you quoted.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:01 pm 

If people are interested in a Best of the Best style tournament, I would be willing to put one together.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:31 pm 

Zelodie-Local-Satyr wrote:
I hear you, there. I do hear what you are saying. But, asking me to not hit this full force and stress my out through the other end is like asking me not to breathe. I like breathing. And, the ball is just another huge thing that I'm going to be fidgeting and fussing over until it's done. Just being honest. :)

Zel... Chill on Dragon Master for this week. Focus on Mid Reign and your Satyr Ball and the Ball. We will sit down in the next few weeks and deal with Dragon Master scores like we deal with everything else. One at a time.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:31 am 

@Dark Tigger: Apologies. I read crimson's post wrong. I thought she asked if any serpent knights judged. Then I thought Wallflower asked why it mattered who judged. My answer wasn't meant to attack anyone, but to answer why its important to have judges of different levels.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:54 am 

cynisca wrote:
@Dark Tigger: Apologies. I read crimson's post wrong. I thought she asked if any serpent knights judged. Then I thought Wallflower asked why it mattered who judged. My answer wasn't meant to attack anyone, but to answer why its important to have judges of different levels.

I will also apologize for my tone. After going back up and reading my post again, it comes off much more aggressive than I intended.

On a side note to Wallflower's and Forest's discussion about more of a judging panel with the entrants bringing the items in front of the judges. I've been thinking about this off and on all night. It not only gives people interested in judging a chance to learn about what others think about and are looking for, but is a better way to keep the judges honest with their critique. You can't be too nice, people will call you out on it. You can't be too mean, people will call you out on it. You just have to be honest and open to discussion. I'm really thinking the benefits out weigh the flaws. It will make for better crafters, judges and competitions. Plus should make being a spectator to said competition immensely more entertaining.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:31 am 

Dark Tigger wrote:
It not only gives people interested in judging a chance to learn about what others think about and are looking for, but is a better way to keep the judges honest with their critique.

One thing that is a trend for most any type of A&S event is the judging, either someone felt misjudged or a judge is new to A&S judging, or something along those lines. Reading Dark Tigger's post here gave me an idea. There are workshops for garb, weapons, and other crafting and fighting aspects of amtgard, but can someone come up with a A&S judging workshop? To help those that would like to judge but are unsure as to what they are doing, or for those that have been judging to fine tune their methods. It may help, or it may be a waste of time. Just a thought.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:33 am 

Deydron wrote:
There are workshops for garb, weapons, and other crafting and fighting aspects of amtgard, but can someone come up with a A&S judging workshop? To help those that would like to judge but are unsure as to what they are doing, or for those that have been judging to fine tune their methods. It may help, or it may be a waste of time. Just a thought.

And/Or, if you're well versed in a particular art, write a brief how-to paragraph for judging that sort of piece. We can compile them into a master "Tips on Judging Stuff You Don't Know About" document.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:50 pm 

ES has offered to host a "How to" workshop on judging. I don't recall how well the turnout was. Perhaps we can do one at MR for anyone interested?

I'd be willing to donate some time on Sat. before the Knight's meeting (noon)

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:47 pm 

Forest Evergreen wrote:
ES has offered to host a "How to" workshop on judging. I don't recall how well the turnout was.

I remember this. It was an ok turnout, but nothing great... It also showed me that instead of constantly trying to reinvent the wheel when it comes to cultural competitions we instead need to focus more on teaching people how to judge...

It was at this workshop that I heard the phrase "I would give this a 2.8 in qualls, but a 3.4 in Dragonmaster because it's slightly below average" I would definately like to see a how-to workshop like this ran by several Serpent Knights (or people that SHOULD have their serpent belts), and former dragon masters, as well as people that have judged consistantly in the past. I'm sure we can alot some time at MR for this (but I'll leave the final word to Docsi), and even if we can't I'm sure we can setup another workshop at the park level shortly after MR.

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:47 pm 

Draeven wrote:
I'm sure we can alot some time at MR for this (but I'll leave the final word to Docsi), and even if we can't I'm sure we can setup another workshop at the park level shortly after MR.

If this happens at either MR, or a Park Day, can someone record it and put the footage up on either youtube or make it to where it would be accessible to people that are unable to attend MR or other Texas events this month? That would be awesome and much apprecitated. [smilie=icon_cheesygrin.gif]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences