Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:47 pm 

Hello everybody.

We made it past the end of the world… those of us that remain have gotten through Christmas and the New Year is upon us.

Perhaps you have noticed that there are weekends on the calendar in January and February and then again in April and May that are labeled A&S/Jugging. The Jugging part should be self-explanatory. That is Thrasher’s department and I’ll let him explain any details about such.

We are going to be holding some A&S competitions. We’ll have a garbing competition and a bardic competition.

The Bardic competition… I would like to have this as an audience participation activity. We will not be keeping this hidden off in a corner. I would like to have a small panel to be able to give feedback at the end of the performance and we’ll have plenty of people in the audience who are scoring the performances. Entering into this competition will not prevent you from entering the same performance into DragonMaster or Crown Quals. This is a great opportunity to practice in front of an audience, and get feedback on how to improve.

The garbing competition will be a bit more structured.
For January, we (I and the judges that will be there) want to see your best Garb Accessories. If you want to make a pouch, belt favor, a sash or a hat (or even a shawl I guess), that would be great!

For February, tunics and tabards... if you are handy with a sewing machine, people are most likely asking for these things from you. Come show off your work and let people know just how awesome their garb could be.
March... we’re taking March off from this competition. Something about this thing called Dragonmaster and some campout called Midreign taking up all the attention.
April... Male Garb
May... Female garb

For April and May, I would like to see a full set of garb head to toe. This will be a runway style competition, so make the garb for you or a friend and be prepared to have your garment walk the “runway” for the judges. This not only gives the judges a chance to see the garment on somebody, but will also allow you to focus on the overall presentation of the outfit and the look that you are trying to achieve (aka make sure your seams are done well so it doesn’t rip while being modeled, but don’t worry about the judges flipping the garb inside out). I will have a large (cabin style) tent at the parks for people to use as a changing room. I would love to see some outfits that are 100% made by the person entering them, but it needs to be at least mostly your own work. If you can’t make the boots or shoes, just be honest and tell us you didn’t make those. If the hat that you have completes the look but you didn’t make it either, put it on the model and tell us you didn’t make the hat. Try to make as much of it as you can.Don’t think of this as “ I won’t enter because I don’t know how to do pants.” Think of this as “hmmm... I have 4 months to learn how to make, at the very least, some wrap pants.”

These competitions is your chance to shine and show everybody that there are people here in the Emerald Hills that are amazing at A&S, show them this is what our people are capable of and possibly even win some awards.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:21 pm 

Is the bardic competition happening in each month in conjunction with the specific garbing tourneys? Will the bardic competition be categorized similarly or will participants be required to submit different bardic subcategories? Or is it pretty open to where someone could sing a different song each time if he wanted to? One performance per person per month?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:36 am 

Hey Aylin,
Sorry it took me a couple of days to reply.

Aylin_Karyn wrote:
Is the bardic competition happening in each month in conjunction with the specific garbing tourneys?

Each month. (excluding March and June)

Aylin_Karyn wrote:
Will the bardic competition be categorized similarly or will participants be required to submit different bardic subcategories?

No.

Aylin_Karyn wrote:
Or is it pretty open to where someone could sing a different song each time if he wanted to?

Yes, you could do nothing but singing.

Aylin_Karyn wrote:
One performance per person per month?

I will say that, I will definitely limit you to only 3 performances per person (per month). This may be lowered contingent on number of contestants & time.

One thing to keep in mind with the last two questions. Be careful about what you choose to do when performing. Generally the question of "is this entertaining?" is the biggest part of the equation for many of the judges. When doing French Arias, there are are only a few of us who play Amtgard who've had the musical training to understand and stay interested after seeing this multiple times over 3 months straight. Focus on the performance itself, and expect that some of the technical nuances may be missed by some of the spectators. Sadly, the only way to change this is to increase exposure to these things. In the Kingdom we have at least 3 Belly Dancers, 1 Ballet Dancer, 2 Poi Spinners, and 2 guitarists... this isn't including people wanting to tell stories, sing, or tell jokes (and that's just off the top of my head). Incredible technique will only go so far if the audience is bored.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am 

Tigger...

For the month of March, will there be any A&S during Mid Reign?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:58 am 

when would jewelry or maceme belts be entered?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:12 pm 

Will there be cooking during these competitions?

Aramis

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:28 pm 

cynisca wrote:
when would jewelry or maceme belts be entered?

That sounds like garb accessories. January 27.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:25 pm 

can items entered in the monthly compations be entered into dragon master?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:14 am 

Dailyn wrote:
Tigger...

For the month of March, will there be any A&S during Mid Reign?

There is a little event that we generally hold near Midreign called DragonMaster. I would love to get some workshops going for Midreign. I will work with Gryndll to see what we can get going for that. Is there a particular workshop you would like to see?

Cynisca wrote:
when would jewelry or macrame belts be entered?

Aylin would be correct. For this, Reign L A&S Competition, Garb Accessory would be the best, otherwise DragonMaster.

These two competitions were meant specifically as a reign long garbing competition (independent of Dragon Master) and a reign long Bardic competition (see previous parenthetical clause) so that we could give people more opportunities to show their stuff. The reason I chose those two specifically: they are two of the most commonly entered categories over all. Hopefully we can see more varieties of competitions coming in the future, for now I was going for more competitions and getting people use to seeing A&S around all the time.

Aramis wrote:
Will there be cooking during these competitions?

Aramis

There will definitely be cooking during this first competition. The officers at Eagleshire have a lot planned in addition to my two competitions and Thrasher's Jugging competition, including food.

I think what you were asking was more of a 'will there be a cooking competition as well?' When I first declared to run for Regent I wanted to do Garb, Bardic and Cooking. I was afraid that expense and logistics of transporting the food would prevent many people from participating.

If I can get at least 4 people (preferably 8 - 10) to commit to a cooking competition then I will run a cooking competition in Feb, April, and May. If you have questions specifically about the cooking competition private message me either here or on facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/dave.dtigger ).

Heck... if you questions in general private messages work well for that too, or post, either way is fine.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:44 am 

shamus green wrote:
can items entered in the monthly competitions be entered into dragon master?

I had meant to make this clear in the first post, but I carelessly only stated such in the part about Bardic.

I do not want these monthly competitions and Dragon Master or quals to compete with each other. So as far as, the "do not enter an item from a higher level competition into a lower level one" rules goes, these would be the lowest level of the kingdom level competitions. What future or other Regents think on this topic will be up to them when they run their competitions.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:10 am 

*sigh* it has been pointed out to me that my last post isn't really clear enough.

It is generally accepted (and generally included in the rules to the specific competition, not in writing via the corpora (in our kingdom) or other places (again generally)) that you cannot enter items from a higher level competition into a lower level one. The concept is simply... Something that you entered into an inter-kingdom competition then go to a kingdom event and enter the same item... or from there to a park level competition.

This has been expanded (generally) to place a hierarchy to Dragon Master, Crown Qualifications, Chili Cook Offs and any other cultural competition.

I am not that particular. Please come enter stuff. I want lots of stuff. I want to be begging people to judge come April and May simply because they don't want to be around until midnight. Seriously thought, the garb competition is going to be judged more from a 'how does it look on somebody' attitude. DragonMaster will be judged with the normal anal retentiveness, including checking the seams on the inside and looking for that one stitch that is out of place. Well, just for clarity, the previous couple of sentences refers to garb specifically.

YOU CAN ENTER INTO BOTH COMPETITIONS. With a couple of provisos:

Don't expect awards for items that you've entered before and haven't significantly changed.

Please don't enter items that you have entered into previous DragonMasters or higher competitions (aka interkingdom events).

Keep in mind that when entering stuff into A&S competitions, it is more about learning, getting feedback, practicing a new craft, and/or finding new ideas.

I'm wanting you to be available for questions during this competition. DragonMaster will be using note cards.

This is an 'on your honor' game, that applies to the A&S side as well (imo, and it's the one that matters this reign). Please be honest.

When in doubt just don't do it. Actually, ask. Ask lots of questions. Call me on the phone. If I don't answer it's probably because I'm asleep or at work. PM me here... PM me on Facebook (above), email me, send of smoke signals (not really suggested... I work at night and it's dark, plus I don't know how to read smoke signals), ask plenty of questions. We'll try to get them all answered.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:06 am 

We've established a 3 entries per month per entrant limit for bardics. Would it be reasonable to expect the same for garbing? Not that I'm going to make that much crap, but just in case . . .

Can a matched set of accessories be submitted as a single entry? (e.g., hat and gloves, necklace and earrings)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 pm 

What category would a hairstyle fall into? Or a hairpeice? Or floral accessories?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:58 am 

Garb accessory if it's something that can be worn. Jan. 27

Hairstyle sounds more like a 2D or 3D art, maybe.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:48 pm 

Aylin_Karyn wrote:
We've established a 3 entries per month per entrant limit for bardics. Would it be reasonable to expect the same for garbing? Not that I'm going to make that much crap, but just in case . . .

Can a matched set of accessories be submitted as a single entry? (e.g., hat and gloves, necklace and earrings)

Yes, Yes.

I am sorry... I had this typed up the other night and thought that it was posted.

A special note about sets... please make sure that they are a cohesive set.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences